When you first think of chia, you recall those fuzzy green chia pets that we all knew and loved. Gone are the days of the chia pets! Say hello to the new chia in town… the chia seed.
Chia comes from the desert plant Salvia hispanica, grown in Mexico. It is an edible seed that contains healthy omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, protein, antioxidants, and all that good stuff. Since they are unprocessed, they make a great whole-grain addition to any diet. This week, we want to share some of their amazing health benefits with you. We hope that these benefits will encourage you to add them to your lifestyle!
- Great source of omega-3s, which can help reduce inflammation and high cholesterol
- Plenty of fiber, which can regulate bowel function
- Fiber also keeps you full, which makes it a great addition to a midday snack
- Rich in antioxidants, to help protect body from free radicals, aging, and cancer
- Two tablespoons contain 24% for magnesium, which can help prevent hypertension
- Benefits those with type-2 diabetes, as it can help slow down digestion
- Has 18% of the recommended daily intake for calcium – great for bone health
- Great source of protein for vegetarians or vegans, with 4.4 grams per serving
So, how can you incorporate these seeds? There are plenty of ways!
- Yogurt parfait
- Veggie dishes
- Baked goods
- And much more…
Are you ready to get your chia on? Us, too!