Warmer days are making a welcome return this time of year, but along with the added sunshine also comes an increase in the air’s humidity. Not only do the more humid conditions leave some feeling sluggish and sticky, but they also have the tendency to stimulate your skin’s oil production, and cause clogged pores and acne breakouts. Year-round you may find yourself in consistently humid situations, like working in a hot kitchen or breaking a sweat at the gym. You can prevent humidity related breakouts by making a few adjustments to your everyday skincare routine.
- Wash your skin after you perspire.
- Avoid touching your skin with your fingers and wiping your face with your hands. Using your hands to wipe away sweat spreads oil and bacteria.
- Try blotting your skin with a clean tissue. You can also use an oil-absorbing, skin-blotting cosmetic paper, often sold in cosmetic stores.
- Use oil-free lotion and skin care products that won’t clog your pores and create acne.
- Stash a package of oil free cleanser wipes in your purse, desk, or gym bag, for easy cleansing on the go.
- Keep your hair away from your face with headbands and secure hair elastics. Sticky and sweaty hair spreads germs and oil.
- Always change out of your gym clothing or sweaty work clothes within 30 minutes after your workout or job. Your clothing can trap bacteria and oil that you don’t want sitting on your skin!
- Avoid wearing heavy makeup or creams while working out or if you know that you will be in a humid situation.
- It may sound counter intuitive, but always moisturize after you shower. Water dries out your skin, which triggers your body produce oil. Applying moisturizer will keep your skin balanced.
It is important to be aware of these environmental changes to keep your skin feeling fresh, clean, and most importantly zit free!